Posted: 10.09.21 at 15:47 by James Mayer, Local Democracy Reporter
Plans for an “unacceptable” 18m tall 5G mast in Hampton have been refused.
Applicant Thomas Gallivan wanted the phone-signal boosting mast, along with three storage cabinets, to be built on Station Road.
But Richmond Council said the height, bulk and “inappropriate design” would cause harm to the character of Hampton Village Green as well as being dangerous for residents.
A council document said: “By virtue of the proposal’s combines inappropriate design, excessive height, width, bulk and siting, the application would cause unacceptable harm to the character and openness of Hampton Village Green, an area of Other Open Land of Townscape Importance.”
It added that the mast would cause clutter in the area and would “fail to protect visually significant trees”.
The council said the road is already busy so the 5G mast “could impact on the safety of pedestrians, those with limited mobility [and] cyclists”.
Gareth Roberts, leader of Richmond Council, said on Twitter: “Great news. Nobody denies we need better connectivity but this site was simply unacceptable.”
Previously, Kew residents slammed plans for a 5G mast in their village, calling it an “eyesore” with them complaining about its appearance and “radio waves”.
Have you signed up for our weekly newsletter yet? Sign up HERE for the top Teddington stories in your inbox each Friday!
Come and master a new skill. Taster sessions for all! Our club is located in a stunning location on Trowlock Island, off Broom Road, Teddington. Junio...