Posted: 29.04.21 at 17:37 by Ellie Brown
The founder of Parkrun has warned that its future is not certain as the event prepares to return on June 5.
In an open letter published on the parkrun website yesterday, parkrun founder Paul Sinton-Hewitt CBE said he had been worried about the event's future since the start of lockdown last year.
This saw parkruns across the UK cancelled due to social distancing restrictions and junior parkruns only returned at the start of this month.
With the weekly 5k for adults planned to return on Saturday 5 June, Sinton-Hewitt urged everyone in the parkrun community to help make its first day back a success.
"It is no exaggeration to say that the next few days and weeks will be critical for the entire parkrun movement," he said.
"We must all do everything we can to ensure that parkrun is here to be enjoyed for generations to come.
"That’s why I am calling on the entire parkrun community to help support our efforts to return on Saturday 5 June.
"If you can influence and encourage your local landowner to confirm permission quickly, please do so. If you’d like to volunteer, let your local event know.
"If there is anything at all that you think that you can do to help your local team return, please get in touch with them."
Earlier this week, parkrun announced it had formally applied to landowners across England for permission to return in June.
Over 3 million people in the UK take part in the weekly event, which was founded in Bushy Park back in 2004.
Sinton-Hewitt's open letter can be accessed HERE
For more information on the Bushy Parkrun visit its website
More stories on this topic
'Baseless assumptions' preventing parkrun's return
Parkrun returning to where it all began in June
Enjoyed this article? For daily updates on what’s happening in Teddington, follow us on Facebook or Twitter . You can also sign up to our free weekly newsletter featuring exclusive articles for subscribers - just type your email into the box below.